The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

English Literature

Why English literature is important and why we should still study it

It’s debatable whether certain school subjects will truly provide practical value in our future lives. For example, English may appear to be one of those subjects that will have little practical application in adult life, as its relevance to our future may seem pointless. 

However, English proves to be an important asset for any profession and personal adult life as it underpins things like communication, creativity, and critical thinking. In fields like law, history, or philosophy, English Literature plays a significant role, and it extends to everyday life, making it an important tool for navigating the world. 

Literature is all about understanding the human experience. It offers a profound exploration of the human experience with its ability to captivate deeper appreciation towards other humans and allows people to relate and apply it to their own lives. It brings observation to the things around us that sharpens our ability to listen and hear, smell, taste, and touch. Accessible and timeless, it gives us the ideals of human life that are very important to study and persevere if we as a society want to evolve.

Authors worldwide who have documented and shaped culture give us a knowledge of literary history, theory, and criticism, broadening our understanding of diverse cultures and intellectual traditions. By capturing our history in literature, we preserve a valuable perspective on human experiences allowing future generations to learn and appreciate the past, present, and future. 

English literature has been a staple for education for centuries with works by William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, and Charles Dickens being part of high school curricula. This study has won numerous Nobel prizes and esteemed scholars. 

In some cases, literary works have sparked meaningful social change, shedding light and prompting people to confront social issues and alternative perspectives. Through active reading and exposure to varied viewpoints, we can better understand the world and the people around us and challenge our biases and assumptions.

Literature benefits people as it invites them to reflect on their own experiences with its ability to capture self-reflection, allowing us to confront our emotions as it opens a door for empathy, understanding, escapism, comfort, personal identity, and emotional intelligence. All of these benefits are the reason why we should make literature more considerate in the future. 

Ultimately, the study of English and literature empowers us to become more informed, empathetic, and thoughtful individuals who will be able to navigate us to face the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead whether it’s a job or basic life skills that can be brought out because of English literature