The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

Suspense over College Applications

Anticipation for college applications is rising for all seniors since applications are just around the corner from October 1-November 30, and it can get very overwhelming and stressful, especially not knowing where or how to get started. If a student finds themselves in that mindset, they need to know about the different resources that Kennedy offers to help students navigate this stressful time.

This is a pivotal moment in our academic journey and the outcome of these college applications can significantly impact the future. Where you end up in college won’t define who you are, but it will lead you to where you are meant to be. At John F. Kennedy High School, there are always people you can talk to. 

It is important to get started as soon as possible because cramming all the work towards the end will make it difficult to create a steady flow to get all the necessary things done especially since these applications do take some time.

Senior Jakob Perez said, “I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with college applications because it’s a bit stressful thinking about my future. I’m planning to trust myself, and I know that I’ve worked hard all four years of high school for this point. I’m going to take deep breaths, believe in myself, and whatever happens, I will follow my goal of going to college and getting my master’s degree.”

There is an opportunity to get help on the JFK school website under the College & Career Center section. On the website, it provides important information and frequently asked questions. 

If you are still feeling stuck and lost, the College and Career Center is a very welcoming office, and taking a visit to get help isn’t a bad idea. You will have the opportunity to further learn about college admissions and financial aid opportunities. You will be guided through the entire process and they give specific advice about choosing campuses, creating college lists, and feedback on UC and private college essays.

They are there to help you have a better understanding of the process. 

College Counselor Lorin Abarr said, “If students come visit us, we can give them pointers as they get started. I recommend completing the CSU application before the UC application, because Ms. [Iris] Aragon and I can use the A-G checking tool in the CSU application to ensure that a student is meeting the requirements and entering their courses correctly.” 

It’s important for students to take their time when entering course and grade information to minimize the chances of making mistakes because incorrect information can lead to revoked admissions offers. UC evaluators have expressed their ability to recognize the effort students put into their Personal Insight Question responses.

Deadlines are getting close, and it can get easy for seniors to start procrastinating. It’s very important to know when the deadlines are. Most seniors are going through the same thing and it’s completely normal to feel overwhelmed. 

Don’t be afraid to ask for help from peers, teachers, and school counselors to get back on track.