The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

“Die Hard”

“Die Hard” is not a Christmas movie
Die+Hard

When you think of a Christmas movie, you think of happy, cheerful, bright movies. Or having a Christmas character like Santa, etc. A Christmas movie is usually happy and has a message at the end, like treat people the way you want to be treated or someone finds the true meaning of Christmas, but the movie Die Hard directed by John McTiernan completely said forget that.  

The movie Die Hard is about the main character, John McClane, played by Bruce Willis, who gets invited to a Christmas party held at his wife’s workplace, which later turns into a hostage situation. This criminals are  led by Hans Gruber, who wants to take over the Nakatomi Plaza. 

Eventually, when the shooting starts John has to use his 11 years as a cop in New York to protect his wife and the hostages trapped. But let me ask this one simple question, how in the world does this make it a Christmas movie? There are only around four parts of the movie that show a Christmas tree or different characters talking about Christmas. 

But so many people want to argue that Die Hard IS a Christmas movie, but I don’t get how people see this as a Christmas movie, it’s all ‘pew pew’ or a funny line THEN you have the very few little Christmas throw away lines. What do people who have watched this movie think? 

“Essentially, Die Hard would still be Die Hard even if it didn’t take place during Christmas Eve, and its primary function is to be a high-adrenaline action film,” stated Christian Jeter, staff writer for the Daily Toreador. 

I agree 100% because if you take out the “Christmas” moments, you still have a good action movie. Personally when I think of Christmas movies, I think of romance or people finding the true meaning of Christmas; if I wanted an action movie, I would’ve watched John Wick or any Marvel movie made ever! Whenever Die Hard comes on, it turns my family Christmas into a debate. 

When we watch ACTUAL Christmas movie, we talk about how cute the movie is or what we liked about the movie in the first place. If I want to watch a Christmas movie, Die Hard is at the bottom of my list, and I wouldn’t watch it even if it was last “Christmas” movie to watch.