The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

Indoor Plants

Growing plants indoors

Plants are everywhere: they are in your gardens, they are in your food, they are even in your walls. Which is a good thing, because having plants inside the home is a great way to gain health benefits. Cleaner air, a better state of mind, and possibly gaining some palatable yields along the way. 

The hardest hurdle when trying to grow a plant is getting it to actually sprout. If your thumb is like mine, it is not green. To get you started consider adopting a plant from a local greenery. Senior student and Rise council member Ashley Richard-Gantka had to say “I’d try to grow from seeds”, but that is harder to do, “it also depends on the plants.” Some of the easiest plants to grow are monsteras, succulents, and ferns if you’re starting out.  

Photosynthesis is the process of carbon being collected into a leaf where it is combined with water to create glucose. In a sense, this process has the ability to filter the air improving the quality that you would be breathing. Better air quality is great for your health because you are not inhaling as much dust particles and chance for disease. Science teacher and ASB leadership advisor Taylor Bub commented, “I know for a fact that they clean the air, I dunno if that’s a psychological thing, but I assume, it works.”

Improved air quality has the additional benefit of improving concentration of not only the mind but of oxygen. Having clean air increases focus, allowing you to be much more productive. The faster you get work done, the sooner you can relax, which clean air will allow you to indulge in.  “I feel a little more calmer,” stated Bub. Since a higher oxygen intake can also improve your sleep, more red cells carrying oxygen can provide a deeper sleep. 

If you’re going to have a plant nearby, think about having a plant that can be harvested. That way you may be more inclined to take care of it as a way to gain a resource. Grow green beans, strawberries, or even start an apple tree. Indulge in the fruits of your labor while also gaining plenty of more benefits. If there is not enough space inside the home, begin to move them outside into larger pots. 

Taking care of a plant gives a sense of maternal care. In a sense you are taking care of a living thing that does depend on your care. Then you would be more inclined to take care of it for longer. 

“When you notice that they’re growing I did something right”, replied Ashley Richard-Gantka. But if your attention span is lacking then consider growing a plant that only needs to be cared for periodically, a small cactus can still provide benefits but at a lower rate. Jade and aloe are great options too for low maintenance plants. 

As a final point, plants Within a confined space have a much easier time controlling the humidity. The increase of humidity can trap dust particles, preventing them from entering your body. In addition, the moisture within the air supports the nostrils ensuring they don’t dry out. Humidity can even act like a natural moisturizer for your skin. These are subtle effects but any boost in health should be considered, since you may feel better in the long run.