The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

Watching School Sports Help Students Grow

Why students should watch live games
Enzo Mendoza

A world record was shattered because 92,003 fans went to Memorial Stadium to watch a women’s volleyball game, making it the largest attended female sporting event ever (in America), and perhaps reflecting a growing belief that women’s sports are important.  

It is always expected for football games to be packed with people. The amount of dopamine fans receive from watching these games attracts people to watch more. College crowds at a football game can get intense, and it is actually the same for high school sports. 

Watching high school sports helps students fit into a crowd. Some students can feel out of place, they can feel lonely, and they can think that school is just a place with struggles and stress. There are too many classes that give students too many assignments to stress over. Watching sports is a way to solve many of these problems and can overall help students. 

According to The Washington Post “The study, published in Frontiers in Public Health, looked at data from a survey of 7,209 16- to 85-year-olds. The analysis showed that attending a live sporting event made for higher self-reported scores on life satisfaction and lower scores on loneliness.”

Enjoying a live sport with friends and family is a great way to get closer to them and a great way to meet new people. It is also a way to forget about the amount of work that teachers are piling on them. Students also sometimes prefer watching the sports and participating in cheering for the team than actually playing.

Watching sports is also a hobby for many students. They can get really into a sport and even start reading stats and studying the game they are watching. Even though they don’t participate in the sport, the adrenaline they get during a game is an experience they enjoy.

Junior Sebastian Florez stated, “Sports are entertaining. I grew up watching sports and being able to watch them live in school with my friends is enjoyable. The memories I get from these games can be looked back on in the future and could remind me of the passion and the personality I had in high school.”

Of course not all students like to watch or participate in sports. These students prefer academics or genuinely don’t like sports in general. The problem is that academics don’t have the same effect on teenagers as sports does.

An anonymous Glendora High Senior stated, “There is no point in watching sports in school. It gets way too crowded, and sometimes people can get too aggressive. They start to get angry at other people, and it’s just a whole drama fest.”

Though it does get intense and a little overwhelming, the reason for all of it is because of the passion they have for the game. It is actually normal that fans get mad and get so passionate about the game. Even parents and other adults get into high school sports. They too crave the intense battles between teams and want to feel the excitement of the games. 

Parent Josh Salazar stated, “I go to high school and college games, the hype to these games are absolutely insane. There are chants for everything and the tension between the teams can be felt through the whole stadium. It is very enjoyable especially when two good teams battle it out, and I feel great after my team wins.”

Sports are for everyone, sports in general is a great way to help students with a lot of things. Since watching games is beneficial, students should try to attend a live game and see how they feel about it. They shouldn’t always be studying and always stressing, they need to relax and have fun at these events.