The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

Challenges in the Education System

Addressed found challenges in public education

The education system faces various challenges, which can affect students’ learning experiences and challenge their academic success; it’s important to address these issues and work towards creating a more inclusive and effective education system for all students.

One of the three major challenges is the issue of overcrowded classrooms. When classrooms are overcrowded, it becomes difficult for teachers to provide individualized attention and support to each student. 

This can make the learning process more difficult and lead to lower academic performance. It can also lead to a lack of resources, and space, and increased behavioral issues, making it difficult for students to engage in activities and participate fully in the learning process. 

Senior Valena Galindo said, “I think one big challenge in the education system and overall in school at John F. Kennedy is unfair class sizes because more one-on-one help is needed.”

A 2021 article for The Tech Edvocate listed classroom overcrowding as one of the “20 reasons why the American education system is failing.” There was also a 1993-1994 study on four overcrowded schools, which found that students scored significantly lower on mathematics and reading exams than students at schools at or below capacity.

Furthermore, standardized testing has become a controversial aspect of the education system. While assessments can provide valuable data, overemphasizing standardized tests can lead to a narrow focus on test preparation rather than a different approach to education. 

This can limit a student’s creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. 

Junior Raquel Curiel said, “Standardized testing is harmful because it causes students to stress about the test and that can make them unsuccessful; not all students perform well under the stress of test-taking which causes them to fail then leading to possibly failing the class. Students should at least be able to retake tests and teachers shouldn’t make tests a major part of a student’s grade because not all students test well.”

Some possible alternative methods are project-based assessments, portfolios, presentations, group discussions, and open-ended questions. These methods can encourage deeper engagement and understanding.

Additionally, another challenge is the need for teacher support and professional development. Teachers play a crucial role in a student’s education, but they often need more resources, high workloads, and limited chances for career advancement and skill enhancement. 

Investing in teacher training and support can help improve the overall quality of education. 

Sophomore Luis Heredia said, “The lack of help happens very often at Kennedy and I have experienced it with some teachers who do not want to help the students. For example, a teacher I have, refused to help me when I came by during lunch to ask a question I had about the class.”

At John F. Kennedy High School some teachers do not want to support the students and some believe that they just want the check and leave, but others are committed to helping the students learn. When there is support, the students achieve better grades because they have the teacher’s support.

These issues must be addressed and work toward creating an inclusive, fair, and effective education system that meets the needs of all students. These are just a few examples of the challenges within the education system. 

There is always room for improvement and there is always the chance to create a better learning environment for all students.