The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

Halloween at Kennedy

What Kennedy is doing to get students involved in Halloween
JFK Hallway during the maze.

In honor of Halloween, Kennedy High School’s leadership students are pulling together different activities during and after school to spike students’ interest and spirit in the holiday.  

On the thirteenth of October, a group collaboration of Kennedy’s GLEAM, MEDBOARD, and RISE students are hosting a Halloween maze within the school’s sponsored classrooms after school.  

Different clubs and leadership groups will be getting involved in the activity as  a way of showing off their involvement at the school.  Themes could include different horror movies or general themes such as haunted dolls.  Classrooms will be decorated to form the maze, and the more classrooms willing to participate and get involved, the larger and more extravagant it may look.

Sophomore Colin Chong stated, “There will be rooms decorated according to certain themes such as Coraline, games, and movies to enjoy.”

Students will also be participating in either the decorations or as scarers who will be dressing up with costumes and makeup to scare different participants that go to enjoy the maze.  But, if the maze does not interest someone, Kennedy’s leadership students have other options for students to enjoy their night at Kennedy High School.

There will be a more horror friendly movie played in the quad followed by a scarier movie later on in the night.  The separation in the movie times allows students to choose what to watch based on their levels of past exposure to horror themes.  

Senior Milliana Biller stated, “The GLEAM RISE Student Council is presenting a Twisted Circus themed room at the Halloween maze.  The circus is a twisted take on a live show at the circus orchestrated by a ringmaster and their clowns.”

One of the last activities that will be sponsored by the leadership students and Teaching Academy is a trunk or treat activity involving trunks of cars with different Halloween themed decorations and candy available for students to take, which is being hosted by Sarah Dixon.