The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

Tent or Treat?

The tent or Treat activity being hosted by Kennedy.

As time approaches closer and closer to Halloween, the Teaching Academy and
Kennedy United decided to host John F. Kenned’s first ever Tent or Treat this past Friday the
13th.
Head of Teaching Academy Sarah Dixon stated, “this is just a fun and creative
opportunity to give kids candy. Also, it is way safer than Trick-or-Treating because you know
where the candy is from and obviously you don’t have to walk around in the pitch black night.”
Deriving from Trunk or Treat, it has the exact same concept but with tents instead of
trunks. From 4:30 until 8:00, these spooky Halloween themed tents were giving out candy to
children and students on the blacktop behind B building. Parents all around had the same
general consensus: it was nice to see their children in such good Halloween spirit and get candy
safely. Students thought positively as well as it was an opportunity to get in community service
hours, as well as a sweet treat.
Dixon commented “I can’t wait to have it again next year; I really liked how it turned out. I
wouldn’t change much other than having more decorations and more tents”, ensuring a future
for this to be a tradition.
Originally, it was supposed to be Trunk or Treat. The same exact place and time but with
Halloween themed trunks instead of tents. However sadly there were not enough volunteer
vehicles for it to take place.
Dixon stated, “it’s a bummer, but at least the prep is much easier now”.
Flyers and tents the school already had were utilized and made it a smooth and easy process to
set up, especially when having the help of all the Teaching Academy students.
They painted huge posters with ghosts, ghouls, and all your well known slasher movie
icons, getting everyone in the Halloween spirit.
Overall, Tent or Treat was a success. If it goes as well as it did this year in the future, it
will be Kennedy’s very own tradition for many years to come.