The Word

The Student News Site of John F. Kennedy High School

The Word

The Word

A Reason for Art

The Purpose of Art
Noah Guerrero
A piece of artwork.

Art is more than an image, rather it’s a story.  While it may not look as such, art is surprising in that sense.  Every stroke, every blemish, and every idea thought brings meaning and purpose to the piece; ultimately creating an amalgamation of story. 

John F. Kennedy and senior- voted “best art” Lexi Harris shares her story through art and reveals how art served to be more than just a concept, but a lifestyle.

Finding herself in art class as a simple requirement in the beginning, Harris grew a passion for design; stating that her love and passion for design and art came from her natural talent of drawing.  

As a freshman in online schooling, she found drawing kept her company and cured her loneliness at times.  Harris described her art during this period as experimental; she began to hone her skills and pursue art as something more serious than simple doodles and implement a more meaningful aspect to her work. 

As a sophomore, Harris was recognized by her art teacher and seen as exceptional in her work.  With understanding her work more and more, each piece began to curate itself.  Each piece proved itself to be following a pattern, to be following a flow, that followed each other into the next piece, and the next.  As a junior, Harris’s piece was displayed for an art show at CSUN.  Her work was recognized, and to her it was the most meaningful and influential piece of art she had made.

Harris defines that piece as untitled, but isn’t opposed to naming; rather, she hasn’t figured out what to name it.  The work depicts Lexi holding an eye, with sewn lips, and a facial expression that shows confusion and surprise.  

The eye, grotesque and bloody, symbolizes her desire to rid herself of being able to view the traumatic and distressing aspects of her life.  Harris symbolizes urgency and panic by creating this and proves that the only way to aleve the scenario, is to do so, physically.  

Along with her creation of the eye, Harris depicts experiencing suffering, hardship, and pain, yet not being able to vocalize it in any way by her sewn lips.  Through her imagery the viewer understands her discomfort in her silence and how devastating it feels to be silenced.  Along with the sewn lips, there is an abruptness in her expression.  By her fingers touching her lips, feeling the fibers that keep them shut, and feeling the panic from that.  

Lexi Harris creates a story of dread, suffering, the effects from it, and does so without any words.  However while this is her story, her explanation of her own work, the underlying beauty of art is that it might tell a completely different story to someone else.